Eggy Stir-Fried Cabbage

October 18, 2007

DSC05845

I’ve been eating this dish for as long as I can remember. My mum made it, my aunts made it and now I make it–it’s so simple I can churn it out in 10 minutes. I definitely consider it a comfort food. More often than not, I’ll just pile a mound of crunchy sweet greens strewn with eggy bits over rice for a simple meal. At dinner, it makes a great side dish served with meat and rice. This method works with nappa cabbage and bok choy too but cook the ribs for about two minutes first before adding the leaves. You can add some tiny shrimp after the garlic is done for a little “meat.”

Makes: 2 servings as a single dish with rice or 4 as a side dish

1/2 head medium cabbage, cored and cut into shreds
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons canola oil

2 eggs
1 tablespoon fish sauce (or soy sauce if you prefer)
1/8 teaspoon white pepper powder
Salt to taste

In a wok or large skillet, stir fry garlic in oil over medium heat until fragrant and golden brown. About 2 minutes.

Add cabbage. Turn up heat to medium high and stir fry until cabbage turns bright green and translucent, about 3 to 4 minutes. Keep things moving in the wok.

Turn down heat to low. Make a well in the center of the wok by moving cabbage to the edges. Crack eggs into the well.

DSC05835

Stir eggs with spatula until yolks are broken, trying to keep cabbage out of egg mixture. Let eggs cook for about 2 minutes until almost set but still a little runny (like soggy scrambled eggs).

DSC05837

Turn up heat to medium. Mix up entire contents of wok. Add two tablespoons water, fish sauce, white pepper and salt. Keep stir-frying for another minute. Take off the stove and serve immediately.

1. January 16, 2014 12:21 pm

Just got back from a 2.5 week visiting family in Taiwan and was craving Asian food. Finally had the motivation to dust off my wok and make a quick stir fry. Tried this recipe and it was such a hit! I had to fight off my boyfriend, who usually hates cabbage, to leave some for me!

2. ingrid permalink
    June 13, 2012 5:31 am

This dish is so simple to make and yet quite delicious. I just discovered your site a few days back and since then i have cooked several great meals following your recipes. All of them have turned out exactly how i want my food to taste – wonderful, thank you Pat.

3. November 15, 2007 9:17 am

I’m constantly amazed at how many people love this dish. Thanks for dropping me a note!

4. mycookinghut permalink
    November 10, 2007 3:50 am

I like this dish! It’s my childhood dish!

5. October 24, 2007 7:55 am

Jill, who would’ve thought!? Glad to be of service :)

6. Jill permalink
    October 23, 2007 8:16 pm

You just gave me the biggest flashback. My S’porean roommate used to make this, ending with a bit of chili sauce. I used to make it too, but it fell off the list of go to dishes for some reason. But it is BACK ON my friend! THANK YOU.

1. Cabbage « Life with a Post-Doctoral Mama