In memory of a chef-dad, plus his from-scratch black bean sauce

November 28, 2007

DSC06209

Cathy Chun stir-frying vegetables to use with her dad’s black bean sauce recipe

Not everyone grew up on the tasty goodness of mom’s or grandma’s cooking.

Cathy Chun is a valid case in point. Her late father, David Chun, reined in the kitchen. And everyone, including Cathy’s mom, was happy with that arrangement.

Ironic as it was, Cathy’s dad was the first son in his family. The antithesis to the stereotypical, pampered, first-born son (FBS) in a Chinese family (more often than not, a FBS is showered with attention, isn’t expected to lift a finger, and lo and behold if he steps into the kitchen!), David spent a lot of time in the kitchen as a boy and learned to cook.

Cathy and her siblings were the happy beneficiaries of their dad’s talents in the kitchen. Food was the medium he used to show his love, she explained. “He was not expressive emotionally but he made sure we ate good food.”

On a surprisingly sunny day in autumnal Seattle, I was cooking at Cathy’s house with her sister Carol who was visiting from Hawaii. Cathy wanted to show me how to make her dad’s black bean sauce–from scratch!–and a couple of other dishes from their family cookbooks.

Yes, they had not one, but three, family cookbooks! In 1988, Cathy’s family published a family cookbook entitled Potluck at Popo’s followed by the sequels Just One More in 1989 and Once Again at Popo’s in 2002. When Cathy was growing up in Hawaii, her grandmother, whom she called Popo, hosted numerous potluck parties to celebrate birthdays and other special occasions. Relatives stretching across five generations would gather at Popo’s house, each family bringing a favorite dish. Eventually, they decided to compile these dishes into several cookbook volumes for posterity.

DSC06270

As we chopped asparagus and peeled shrimp, Cathy and Carol bantered and reminisced about their dad and their childhood.

Turns out that not only was their dad a superb cook, he was a meticulous one too.

Carol remembered how, wielding a pair of tweezers, he would pick the tiny hairs off pork destined for the pot, and pull the pin feathers off the chickens he was about to cook. And he could always be found on Thanksgiving morning cutting bread into cubes to roast in the oven for croutons and stuffing. Boxed versions never passed muster.

The conversation meandered organically: we discussed all the different things you could do with spam and Vienna sausages–staples in Hawaii, of course–and whether rice is better cooked on the stove or in the rice cooker. Cathy explained it simply. “I grew up on rice made in a pot.” And that’s how she’s always liked it.

In the end, it all boils down to what you’re used to. Yet another quirk–Cathy’s dad never used a wok and “his cast iron skillet was always on the stove,” she recalled. This might explain why her favorite kitchen accoutrement is the skillet.

Through osmosis, Cathy incorporated many of her dad’s tips and tricks into her culinary repertoire. And the ever-sentimental daughter still keeps his sharpening stone on her kitchen counter as a reminder of the loving father who nourished her both physically and emotionally.

DSC06235

Here are some tips and tricks Cathy’s dad used in the kitchen. Perhaps you’d find them useful too!

• Cathy’s dad taught her never to add oil to a cold pan. So when’s the right time to add it? I watched as Cathy held her hand over the pan on the heated stove to “feel” if it was hot enough. She couldn’t really explain it but she said with experience, you’ll just know. “There’s a connection between knowing the heat level and what it does.”
  • He always hand chopped ingredients. He believed a food processor mashed up food and ruined its texture.
  • When making kao yuk (another term for soy sauce pork), Cathy’s dad would fry the pork belly first. Then he’d place it in the sink, pierce the fat and run cold water over it to allow the fat to rise to the top. This removed some of the “fattiness” of the pork.
  • The secret to great tasting chow fun (fried rice noodles) is to season the rice noodles with oyster sauce and let it sit first before throwing in the rest of ingredients.
  • Cathy’s dad always cooked with bacon grease. Does it make food tastier? You be the judge!

Shrimp with Black Bean Sauce

Bottled black bean sauce is ubiquitous in the aisles of any Asian grocery store. But as the saying goes, from-scratch really does taste better and you can control the amount of sodium that goes into the sauce. Keep in mind that fermented black beans are coated with salt so feel free to adjust the amount of sodium-containing ingredients (i.e. soy sauce, store-bought stock, etc.). Try the basic sauce with chicken or pork too, and mix and match the vegetables.

Time: 20 minutes
Serves: 4 to 6

Combine the following in a small bowl for the basic black bean sauce mixture:
2 tablespoons fermented black beans, rinsed and mashed
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon oyster sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons cornstarch
2/3 cup chicken stock

2 green and/or red bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1-inch squares
12-14 stalks asparagus, cut into 1-inch lengths (about half a bundle)
1-1/2 pounds shrimp, shelled and deveined
2 tablespoons canola oil (or bacon grease if you dare!), divided

In a work or large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil until very hot (test with a few sprinkles of water, if it sizzles, it’s ready). Stir-fry veggies over medium-high heat for about 2 minutes and remove from pan.

In the same skillet, add remaining oil and heat until very hot. Add shrimp and cook until they just turn pink, about 1 minute. Add black bean sauce and stir to coat shrimp. Add veggies and mix well. Add 2 tablespoons water and stir-fry with a couple more flourishes.

Take off the stove and serve with steamed rice.

1. May 1, 2014 5:30 pm

Howdy very nice web site!! Man .. Excellent .. Wonderful ..
    I’ll bookmark your blog and take the feeds also?
    I am glad to search out so many useful information
    right here within the put up, we need work out more strategies on this regard, thank you
    for sharing. . . . . .

2. April 30, 2014 4:33 am

Hi, I do believe this is a great website. I stumbledupon it ;) I
    may come back yet again since i have saved as a favorite it.
    Money and freedom is the best way to change, may you be rich and
    continue to guide others.

3. April 23, 2014 12:56 am

I feel this is one of the most vital information
    for me. And i’m satisfied reading your article.
    But should observation on few basic issues, The web site style is great, the articles is truly excellent
    : D. Good process, cheers

4. April 16, 2014 3:49 am

Hey there, You’ve done a fantastic job. I’ll definitely digg
    it and personally recommend to my friends.
    I’m confident they’ll be benefited from this site.

5. March 24, 2014 9:47 am

Hi, this weekend is good in support of me, as this time i am
    reading this enormous educational post here at my house.

6. March 24, 2014 9:15 am

Hello There. I found youjr blog using msn.
    This is a really wll written article. I’ll
    mazke sure to bookmark it and come back to rewad more of your useful information.
    Thhanks forr the post. I will certainly comeback.

7. March 17, 2014 2:01 pm

Pretty nice post. I jjst stumbled upon your weblog and wished to say that I
    have truly enjoyed browsing your blog posts. In any case I will be subscribing
    to your feed andd I hope yyou write again very soon!

8. March 13, 2014 8:55 am

Wow, awesome blog layout! How long have you been blogfing for?
    you madre blogging look easy. The overall look of your website is great,
    let alone the content!

9. January 10, 2014 9:09 am

People often have a tendency to stay away from portable home
    audio systems fearing that they’ll lack the audio
    quality. It’s also worth noting that no system
    could be 100% wireless – some wiring is going to be required.
    By researching all of the different types of subwoofer audio, you is going to be able to find the
    suitable product for the car.

10. January 3, 2014 6:59 pm

Hey there would you mind sharing which blog platform you’re using?

I’m looking to start my own blog in the near future but I’m having a difficult time selecting
    between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal.
    The reason I ask is because your layout seems
    different then most blogs and I’m looking for something unique.
    P.S Sorry for being off-topic but I had to ask!

11. January 2, 2014 5:01 pm

Hey there just wanted to give you a quick heads up.

The text in your content seem to be running off the screen in Chrome.

I’m not sure if this is a formatting issue or something to do
    with web browser compatibility but I figured I’d post
    to let you know. The layout look great though! Hope you get
    the issue resolved soon. Thanks

12. December 30, 2013 5:59 pm

Outstanding quest there. What happened after?

Take care!

13. October 17, 2013 10:19 pm

Garnish with the chopped walnuts and serve immediately. Since ingredients are thoroughly cooked over a long period of time,
    stirring is not recommended or the food will break apart.
    I hope this Wo – W Cooking Level Guide has served you
    get a greater perception of the wow cooking occupation.

14. August 22, 2013 2:25 am

I did it with pork and vegetables and used the sauce to marinate the pork beforehand. It was excellent. I am hooked. I wrote about it as well. http://elbiblog.wordpress.com/2013/08/08/pork-in-black-bean-sauce/. Thanks for the brilliant recipe.

• September 4, 2013 12:41 pm

Hi Elbi,
      Glad it worked out! I love this recipe: it’s so simple to make and a lot cheaper than store-bought.

15. August 6, 2013 12:55 pm

This recipe looks awesome. Definately going to try this tonight maybe with pork instead of shrimp and whatever veggies I can find in the fridge.

• August 8, 2013 8:51 pm

HI elbi, you can definitely use whatever ingredients you have at home. I’ve stirfried vegetables solo and it tastes great!

16. May 28, 2013 3:03 pm

I do I turn this recipe into chili bean sauce? Add some ground up red peppers.

17. February 13, 2013 11:35 am

Hi to every body, it’s my first go to see of this weblog; this webpage consists of awesome and in fact good data designed for visitors.

18. Greg permalink
    February 10, 2013 1:02 pm

A few questions. Can you make a lot of the black bean sauce at one time and save it? Does it need to be refrigerated or frozen? How long you save it? What does it do to the taste if you freeze it. etc.etc.? Thanks!

19. February 1, 2013 2:31 pm

Hi Jean,
    No, they are not the same, although they are both made from soybeans. Simply put, fermented black beans are soybeans that have been salted and fermented, and these beans are used to flavor dishes. Tempeh, on the other hand, has been fermented using a mold called Rhizopus oligosporus. The final product can be sliced and used in stir-fries and other dishes as a meat-substitute. Hope this helps!

20. Lauren permalink
    February 1, 2013 2:00 pm

Jean, I’m no expert, but I believe the difference is that the fermented black beans (really soy beans) that you would want to use in this recipe are still whole beans, whereas tempeh has been processed into more of a cake, similar in texture to a very firm tofu. Here is a link to a wikipedia article about tempeh:

and one about fermented blackbeans:

both articles have pictures, so you can see that there is a difference.

21. Jean permalink
    January 17, 2013 8:41 pm

Hi

Are fermented black beans the same as Tempe?
    What is the difference if any ?

22. darryl permalink
    August 31, 2012 4:40 pm

Hi,

just to say thanks for a great recipe! Finally overcame my fear of trying this kind of sauce from scratch and used your recipe because it looked easier than others.

Was not disappointed! Am amazed at how different it tastes to sauces from a jar, which in the U.K. I can now say are incredibly bland by comparison! I’ve always loved the taste of soya beans (I even love natto!) so this was great.

So thanks again and looking forward to checking out your other recipes now I’m beginning to overcome my wok fear!
    :D

23. Julie permalink
    September 27, 2011 8:59 pm

fantastic! All the bottled sauces I come across here in Canada have wheat starches in them that I can’t eat. Looking forward to trying this! Also looking forward to seeing the answer on the question of whether or not the black beans need to be fermented. And can this sauce be made in bulk and stored? Thanks!!!

• September 28, 2011 11:04 am

Hi Julie,
      This recipe is great too cause you can control how salty you want your sauce to be as well as skip any preservatives you don’t want. Enjoy!

• October 5, 2011 1:06 pm

Hi Julie,
      You have to buy the Chinese fermented “black beans” which are actually soybeans turned black through oxidation. You can find them at the Asian store in the dried goods aisle. I use a brand called Mee Sum. Yes you can make it in bulk but I would refrigerate it and use it up within 2 weeks. Cheers!

24. brittany permalink
    September 12, 2011 7:57 pm

Delicious black bean sauce!!

• September 17, 2011 8:44 pm

Thanks! Is it amazing how simple it is yet so tasty?

• October 5, 2011 1:07 pm

Thx Brittany! Glad you enjoyed it.

25. eve cohen permalink
    August 13, 2011 11:14 pm

Is it possible to use black beans that have not fermented? Could the same rcioe be used? If not how could unfermented black beans used?
    webilleve.

• October 5, 2011 1:11 pm

Hi Eve,
      Black beans is really a misnomer, they are actually soy beans that have been salted and fermented and the oxidation turns them black. So you have to buy the fermented beans from the Asian market. I hope you can find some! Cheers,
      Pat

26. May 4, 2011 11:28 am

I’ve been looking for a recipe for black bean sauce. It should work perfectly with my mock duck and veggie stock! Thank you! ^.^

27. Louise permalink
    March 29, 2011 12:13 am

Cam i use the black bean sauce as a marinade? Do you also have a reciepe for fried rice? My boyfriend just adores both and I would love to be able to make him them for a special dinner.

• May 26, 2011 11:10 am

Hi Louise, Of course you can. It’s yummy on the grill–try it on fish or beef too, I’ll try and post a fried rice recipe for you soon.

28. February 8, 2011 10:36 am

Just bought my first bottle of fermented black beans by accident, and came across this recipe and blog by accident. After making black bean sauce from scratch, i now realize there ARE no “accidents”! This was a wonderful, simpl, and quick recipe!

• February 16, 2011 10:04 pm

Actually, I’ve made lots of recipes “by accident”! I’m glad you like the recipe. It’s delicious with just about any protein!

29. David permalink
    January 26, 2011 6:20 pm

Kalustyan’s on Lexington Ave near 28th St (http://www.kalustyans.com) sells packages of fermented black beans that are quite reasonably priced. I usually rinse them a couple times because they are salty little buggers, and use low sodium soy sauce and chicken broth (I also add a little rice wine vinegar to my version of the sauce)

• February 16, 2011 10:08 pm

Thanks for sharing, David. I’ve heard Kalustyan’s is a great resource for ethnic foods. You’re lucky to have it at your disposal. I have to admit that I think low sodium soy sauce is an oxymoron, I’d just add less :).

30. Denise permalink
    December 20, 2010 9:03 pm

What if we’re unable to find the fermented black beans, never mind black bean sauce? What kind of beans are they and how do you ferment them? When I say from scratch I mean from scratch!!

• February 16, 2011 10:10 pm

Hi Denise, they’re actually salted and fermented soy beans. I must admit I don’t know how to ferment them but if I do come across an alternative for you i’ll let you know. Try mail order?

31. Shirley permalink
    December 6, 2010 3:32 pm

WHERE’S the recipe?????????

32. Shirley permalink
    December 6, 2010 3:32 pm

WHERE’S

33. princess permalink
    September 1, 2010 9:11 am

That’s funny I couldn’t find any black bean sauce the other either which seemed pretty wierd as well especially since I live in NYC. But now that I have this recipe I don’t have to make my way over to China town.

34. August 12, 2010 3:44 pm

Couldn’t find any black bean sauce at my grocery store–weird. This recipe will do just fine! Thank you

35. albert miller permalink
    April 16, 2010 2:26 pm

Good for you. You can rarely get REAL BLACK BEAN SAUCE…this is it. If you ever buy a bottled sauce, make sure it only has black beans, salt,and water. There is no substitute for bacon grease flavor.

36. April 8, 2010 7:48 am

I am so excited to read this and will hunt down some fermented black beans at the earliest opportunity. :) Thanks.

37. Nidhi permalink
    March 15, 2010 4:59 am

Amazing black bean sauce…..made stir fried veggies with this yesterday and it came out to be sooo delicious.
    Thank you.

38. July 27, 2009 2:56 pm

I just love black bean sauce. This looks very tempting.

39. Frank permalink
    April 1, 2009 12:01 pm

Do you have anymore recipe to share with us…Sweet and Sour Pork?

40. March 18, 2009 10:33 pm

I am going to have to sign up to receive your feed. This is good stuff.

41. December 14, 2007 2:58 pm

Hi Suzanne, I’m afraid the cookbooks were published for family members only. I will be posting a couple other recipes though, so stay tuned!

42. Suzanne M. permalink
    December 14, 2007 7:52 am

Hello,

I would like to purchase all three volumes of Cathy’s family cookbook….”Potluck at Popo’s, etc.” Where can I buy them? Sincerely, Suzanne

43. December 12, 2007 5:24 pm

Tuty, Cathy buys Mee Chun brand salted black beans. This is the only brand I have seen at my Asian store. http://www.flickr.com/photos/10564649@N06/2104413539/in/photostream/

44. November 30, 2007 12:50 pm

Tuty, I will ask for you.
    Marvin, you learn something new everyday :). Now’s your chance to try it and tell me what you think!

45. November 29, 2007 11:49 am

This is gonna sound silly, but I never knew you could make black bean sauce from scratch. I’m so used to the bottled brand that making it myself never occurred to me.

46. Tuty permalink
    November 28, 2007 7:14 pm

Hi Pat,
    I wonder if the Chun’s has a preferred fermented black bean brand… I onced purchased a bag and the beans taste sort of bitter.

1. Pork in Black Bean Sauce | elbiblog
  2. Noix de Saint-Jacques à la vapeur, sauce aux haricots noirs et à l’ail « L'ogrerie
  3. Domestica: Making the best black bean chicken EVER. | Butterflies and Hurricanes
  4. Building a Gluten-free Asian Pantry