Marbled Tea Eggs

February 5, 2008
tags:

Bri over at Figs with Bri kindly tested this recipe for me and blogged about it. Do check it out!

Tea eggs are a nutritious snack, can be served warm or cold and are pleasing to the eye for when guests pop by. By gently cracking the shells of cooked eggs and then simmering the eggs in an aromatic “tea,” the egg whites develop an attractive “crackle glaze” once peeled. The eggs themselves take on the delicate flavors of soy and star anise. Try them in a chef’s salad or even in an egg salad sandwich. Cook the eggs longer for a stronger flavor and deeper color. They can be refrigerated in a covered container for up to 4 days.

Time: 15 minutes (active) plus 2 hours (cooking)
Makes: 8 eggs

8 eggs
water
1/2 cup soy sauce
4 star anise
3 black tea bags, strings removed (English Breakfast, Assam or for a smokier flavor, Lapsang Souchong)

In a (3-quart) saucepan, place the eggs in a single layer. Cover with water and bring to a boil over medium heat. Once water boils, remove pan from heat, cover and let stand for 15 minutes. Drain off water, cover eggs completely with fresh cold water and let stand.

Once eggs are cool enough to handle, tap each one gently with the back of a teaspoon to make fine cracks on the surface of the shell. Try to keep shell intact. Set eggs aside in a bowl.

In the same saucepan, bring 3 cups fresh water to boil over high heat. Add remaining ingredients. Carefully lower eggs one by one into the “tea” and reduce heat to medium-low. If eggs are not completely submerged, add more water. Cover and simmer for 2 hours. Remove from heat and let eggs sit in tea liquid on the stove for 1 hour. Then transfer to refrigerator to steep for at least 2 more hours or overnight.

Drain and peel. Serve halved or quartered.

1. Mama Kelly permalink
    February 7, 2008 4:24 am

These look both delicious and beautiful. I may have to give it a try

2. February 15, 2008 10:21 am

They are, please do give the recipe a try!

3. Ella permalink
    February 19, 2008 10:36 am

These were so lovely, I decided to make them and they were scrumptious! I will definitely make them again, and try more of your recipes.

4. February 27, 2008 5:36 pm

Glad you liked them, Ella. Let me know how the other recipes turn out for ya!

5. tastymealsathome permalink
    May 1, 2008 9:14 am

I’ve been looking for this recipe for a long time! Thank you, I have finally found it! :D

6. Richard permalink
    June 16, 2008 8:55 pm

I disagree. Best eaten whole! :)

7. June 30, 2013 3:44 pm

Hello there! I know this is kinda off topic but I’d figured I’d ask.
    Would you be interested in exchanging links or maybe guest authoring a blog post or vice-versa?
    My blog goes over a lot of the same topics as yours and I think we could greatly benefit from each other.
    If you might be interested feel free to send me an e-mail.
    I look forward to hearing from you! Great blog by the way!

8. July 19, 2013 4:32 pm

Hi, I do think your blog might be having browser compatibility issues.
    When I take a look at your web site in Safari,
    it looks fine however, when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping issues.
    I simply wanted to give you a quick heads up! Besides that,
    fantastic site!

1. A cooking frenzy « The Asian Grandmothers Cookbook
  2. Marbled Tea Eggs | figswithbri.com
  3. Florence Lin's Baked Coconut Sticky Rice Cake Recipe for Chinese New Year - 20 Chinese New Year Recipes - Jeanette's Healthy Living