Technicolor Vietnamese Pickles (Do Chua)

August 2, 2012

IMG_2873

Technicolor Vietnamese Pickles (Do Chua)

Asian pickles do not adhere strictly to Western pickling methods (quick pickles, salt-brined etc) nor do we have a tradition of canning using sterilized jars and such. This method is a combination of quick pickles and salt-brined pickles and they’ll keep in the refrigerator for up to a month. But they hardly ever last that long. This combination makes a sweeter pickle so adjust according to your taste. Use them in bánh mì sandwiches or Vietnamese vermicelli noodles.

Time: 45 minutes, 15 minutes active
Makes: 1 quart

5 carrots (about 2 pounds) in white, burgundy, and orange
6 large celery sticks (about 1 pound)
2 teaspoons salt
1 cup water
1 cup rice or distilled white vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
Dried chilies (optional)
Peel and cut the carrots crosswise into thirds.

IMG_2762
IMG_2894
Then slice them vertically down the middle into three planks and then cut each plank into matchsticks. Cut the celery to the same shape and size.

IMG_2903

Place the carrots and celery in a colander over the sink and sprinkle with salt. Mix well and let the vegetables sit for about 30 minutes to draw out moisture and allow the pickling brine to penetrate the vegetables more thoroughly for better texture and flavor. They should be soft and pliable at the end of it. Rinse and drain.

While the vegetables are sitting, make the pickling liquid by combining the water, vingar and sugar in a medium bowl. Heat the pickling liquid in the microwave on high for one minute. Stir to dissolve the sugar completely.

Pack the carrots, and celery and dried chilies, in two pint-sized (16-ounce) jars. Divide the pickling liquid between the two jars. Seal and refrigerate.

Steep for at least 2 hours and enjoy. The pickles will keep in the refrigerator for four weeks, if they’re not gone by then!

Vietnamese pickles

1. April 30, 2014 1:44 am

Good day! I could have sworn I’ve been to this website before but after looking at many of the posts I realized
    it’s new to me. Anyways, I’m certainly pleased I stumbled upon it and I’ll be book-marking it and checking back frequently!

2. August 13, 2012 12:25 am

Thank you so much for this recipe! I’ve always wanted to try pickling, but I’m too clumsy to attempt the Western style methods. This is more my style. :)

• August 23, 2012 2:04 pm

Yeah, I’m not much of a pickler either so these quick pickles suit me too. Enjoy!

3. August 8, 2012 9:31 pm

Great idea to use the multicoloured carrots! I like to add some fish sauce to my do chua. Have never seen celery used before. Will have to try your method.

4. August 3, 2012 4:17 am

I recently discovered quick pickled cucumbers and am on a pickling kick! Can’t wait to try these. The rainbow carrots look beautiful tumbled together in that glass jar.

• August 6, 2012 5:08 pm

Ann, I love the color of the burgundy, white, and orange carrots … even though they all end up kinda pinkish but it’s very pretty!

1. Choose Love … and a Recipe for Vietnamese Fresh Spring Rolls « The Asian Grandmothers Cookbook
  2. A Summer Bánh Mì Buffest (Buffet+Fest)! « The Asian Grandmothers Cookbook